West Brom striker Salomon Rondon: I want Newcastle stayby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWest Brom striker Salomon Rondon has again declared he wants to sign permanently with Newcastle United.The 29-year-old has scored four goals and provided two assists for the Magpies, despite an injury-affected start to life on Tyneside, since signing from West Bromwich Albion on loan during the summer.Rondon said, “Would I like to stay? Yes, of course. I am very grateful for the effort the club made to bring me in, and for the confidence of the coach, and the welcome of the fans. For all these reasons I’d like to continue, but we’ll see what happens.”I feel really good. I’m really happy here for what we’ve achieved collectively. That’s the important thing.”We have been in good form and have moved away from the relegation zone. I have done my job by contributing with goals.”It’s quite a big contrast [to playing for West Brom last season]. The difference in styles between one team and the other is reflected in the play. A striker likes to have chances and to get crosses into the area.” TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
OTTAWA – Canada’s ambassador to the United States says predictions that NAFTA talks can be settled by the end of month are “aspirational” — even if American and Mexican officials are close to resolving their differences on complex auto sector issues.But David MacNaughton supports the push towards the ambitious goal and says Canadian negotiators are prepared to put in the long hours to help make it happen before the end of August.MacNaughton was closely following NAFTA talks in Washington on Friday between U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Mexican Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo, whose governments have both expressed optimism a deal could be hammered out this month.“I would describe it as aspirational and I think there’s nothing wrong with aspiring to get everything done by the end of August and certainly we’re going to be available 24-7,” MacNaughton said in an interview when asked whether he thought it would be possible to get the deal done within that timeline.“I’ve given up predicting. All I can tell you is we will do everything we can to put all of the resources we have to get a fair and reasonable deal as quickly as we can … We’ve had a lot of dates over the past 18 months and we haven’t met any of them yet.”Media outlets reported Friday that Guajardo predicted there was a very good chance the U.S. and Mexico could sort out their bilateral NAFTA differences next week. In his interview earlier in the day, MacNaughton said next Canadian negotiators could be back at the table as early as next week for three-way talks.The NAFTA file is picking up again after taking a pause in late May ahead of Mexico’s July presidential election. Since that break, the already shaky Canada-U.S. relationship has sunk to an even lower level.U.S. President Donald Trump slapped Canada and other allies with duties on steel and aluminum imports, which led to a retaliatory levies from Ottawa. Trump has also threatened to impose far more damaging tariffs on the auto sector and, as he left the June G7 meeting in Quebec, he called Prime Minister Justin Trudeau “very dishonest and weak.”Following these very public, unprecedented disputes, there have been concerns raised about Canada’s absence from high-level talks this week and last week on the three-country trade deal.Some observers have warned that Canada was sidelined from the negotiations and could be put in a position where it might have to accept a deal reached between the U.S. and Mexico.But Canadian officials, including MacNaughton, have maintained they’re unfazed by being left out of the bilateral discussions, stressing there have been a lot of one-on-one talks during the year-long NAFTA renegotiation process.The Trudeau government, premiers, cabinet ministers and the business community have mounted a lobbying campaign south of the border to sell U.S. lawmakers in Congress, state governors, local officials and business leaders on the economic merits of NAFTA.But the rocky relationship has some questioning the effectiveness of Canada’s so-called charm offensive.Asked whether Canada had a Plan B, MacNaughton said there isn’t one. The strategy, he said, will continue to be telling Americans how critical trade with Canada is for their economy.He argued the effort has succeeded in raising awareness at all levels of U.S. governments, within the business community and even the White House.“Even if we have a renegotiated NAFTA, a modernized NAFTA, we will continue to need to have Americans who realize how important Canada is to American jobs,” he said.“Frankly, I think we took it for granted and you can’t.”Veteran trade strategist Peter Clark said Friday that those who think NAFTA can be concluded by the end of the month are “dreaming.”“If the United States wants to get it finished by the end of August, they’re going to have to put a lot of water in their wine,” said Clark, who called the U.S. decision to leave Canada out of the recent talks a tactical move.After missing this week’s discussions, Clark added there’s a risk Canada could find itself being forced into a take-it-or-leave-it situation on provisions agreed upon by the U.S. and Mexico.If the Mexicans and Americans do agree on autos, MacNaughton said the three partners would still have to tackle a number of other tough issues, including the following sticking points:— dispute resolution.— agriculture issues.— the proposed inclusion of a five-year sunset clause, which has been flatly rejected by the Trudeau Liberals.— intellectual property.— government procurement.— the de minimis threshold, which is the maximum value of an item that Canadians can order from a foreign country without paying duties or taxes.Follow @AndyBlatchford on Twitter
Other recommendations include consideration of directing a portion of royalties from oil and gas development in the ALR to a regional agricultural development fund and creating an agreement between the ALC and Oil and Gas Commission for sharing impact assessments and other information.Agriculture Minister Lana Popham says in a statement the government has already acted on 13 recommendations released in an interim report, including passing laws aimed at keeping farmland affordable and cracking down on illegal dumping.“I want to thank the committee for its dedication and the thoughtful recommendations made in this report,” said the statement says.“Our government is committed to helping farmers farm. We asked the committee members to provide advice on how the ALR and ALC can provide the best support for farmers, ranchers and producers to ensure B.C.’s agricultural sector continues to thrive, and they delivered.” The committee commissioned to complete the report consists of eight British Columbians with diverse agricultural backgrounds and experience.More than 2,300 British Columbians responded to the committee’s online discussion paper and survey, and the committee also received over 270 written submissions.The committee held engagement sessions with local governments and agricultural stakeholders in nine communities throughout the province and met with the Union of B.C. Municipalities and the ALC. VICTORIA, B.C. – An independent report on agricultural revitalization in British Columbia is calling for a task force to address the “imbalance” between oil and gas development and agriculture in the province’s northeast.The Agriculture Ministry released the final report today that makes 32 recommendations related to the province’s Agricultural Land Commission and Reserve.It calls for the proposed task force to review how to balance the surface rights of farmers and ranchers with subsurface rights of the extractors, and to deliver a strategy to address “the significant resource extraction issues” affecting farmland in the Peace Region. In a letter introducing the report, committee chair and former Independent MLA Vicki Huntington calls for a government-wide policy shift that identifies B.C.’s agricultural land and industry as equivalent to other natural resources.Huntington says the oil and gas industry has had a significant and growing impact in the northeast and the development of the energy sector has exceeded the capacity of the current regulatory environment to protect farmland.The report recommends the Energy and Agriculture ministries, the Agricultural Land Commission and the B.C. Oil and Gas Commission work together to develop a healthier relationship that respects not only the energy industry, but also the “increasingly besieged agriculture industry.”“Surface and subsurface infrastructure expansion is progressing exponentially and activities that were once temporary have become permanent industrial sites built on farmland and next to farm communities,” the letter says.“The cumulative impact is making it increasingly difficult for many farmers and ranchers to effectively use their land.”The proposed task force should review how farmers and ranchers might be given authority to influence negotiations on the location of oil and gas facilities and infrastructure, and complete an impact assessment of all oil and gas activity within the ALR, the report says.
Nagpur: Union minister Nitin Gadkari Monday filed his nomination for the Nagpur Lok Sabha seat, where polls will be held on April 11. Gadkari, who had defeated Vilas Muttemwar (Congress) in the 2014 elections by a margin of 2.84 lakh votes, said he will win with a bigger margin this time around. “This time, I will win with a bigger margin. People have a good opinion of the work done by the Narendra Modi-led government in the last five years. Our government did more than (was promised in) the poll manifesto,” Gadkari told reporters. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ The BJP veteran was accompanied by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, Energy Minister Chandrashekar Bawankule, family members and a large number of party workers, while filing his nomination. “Your support and love is the biggest strength for us,” Gadkari said. Fadnavis said Gadkari will register a “historic win” from Nagpur. “He will create a record in Maharashtra,” the chief minister said, adding the BJP-Shiv Sena combine would win 45 of the 48 Lok Sabha seats in the state. Shiv Sena’s Krupal Tumane, sitting MP from Ramtek (SC) seat, also filed his nomination for the Ramtek seat. Nana Patole of Congress, who will take on Gadkari in Nagpur, and former IAS officer Kishor Gajbhiye, pitted against Tumane from Ramtek, are expected to file nominations later Monday.
New Delhi: Crude oil prices edged up 0.23 per cent to Rs 4,426 per barrel in futures trade Monday as speculators widened their bets in tandem with a firm trend overseas. On the Multi Commodity Exchange, crude for delivery in May contracts was up by Rs 10, or 0.23 per cent, to Rs 4,426 per barrel in a business turnover of 13,904 lots. Analysts said the rise in crude oil futures was largely due to raising of bets by participants in the domestic markets. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: Icra Globally, the oil prices were upbeat as members of Saudi Arabia-led Opec in a meeting on Sunday in Jeddah signalled an output cut by the end of the year allaying fears of supply glut, according to reports. Meanwhile, West Texas Intermediate crude prices were trading up 1.31 per cent to USD 63.58, while Brent, used to price international oils, was up 1.40 per cent at USD 73.22 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
Senior forward Matt Johnson (26) chases an opponent during an exhibition against Guelph on Oct. 4 at the Shottenstein Center. OSU won, 7-1.Credit: Melissa Prax / Lantern photographerGames between in-state rivals can make the penalty box a crowded space, but for the Ohio State men’s hockey team, that may not be a problem. The Buckeyes are perfect on the penalty kill entering a home-and-home series against No. 11 Miami (Ohio).During their season-opening series against then-No. 4 Providence College, the Buckeyes (1-1-0) held the Friars to five shots on seven power plays.“The bottom line is when there’s any breakdowns (on the penalty kill) you see guys blocking shots,” Buckeye coach Steve Rohlik said. “That’s the epitome of where our team’s at.”OSU’s early season special teams success is a welcome change from last season’s futilities. The Buckeyes finished last year tied for the ninth-worst penalty kill in the nation at 77.1 percent.Increased film sessions and instruction from OSU assistant coach Joe Exter have expedited the change, Rohlik said.“Joe’s done a fantastic job of breaking some things down and trying to simplify some things so everybody knows exactly what they’re doing,” Rohlik said.Senior forward Matt Johnson is a veteran penalty killer and said he takes pride in the role he’s filled since his time in the United States Hockey League.Johnson can measure that pride this year as he has lost 25 pounds since the start of last season.“I feel more energized, I feel faster, I even feel a little bit stronger on the ice,” Johnson said.The weight loss and physical improvements are products of a different workout program.“I got into CrossFit this summer,” Johnson said. “I think that it more translates to an overall (physical fitness) because it’s muscle conditioning, it’s cardio and it’s also strengthening.”OSU might be leaning on its conditioning this weekend against the RedHawks (1-1-0). Miami returns 19 players and its top eight scorers from last season.“They’re as explosive as any team in the country,” Rohlik said. “We know the way they want to play and we have to eliminate that.”For the RedHawks, this year’s focus is returning to the NCAA Tournament. Miami missed the cut last year for the first time since the 2004-05 season. OSU’s familiarity with the RedHawks has roots in the schools’ proximity and former affiliations. The in-state rivals were longtime adversaries in the Central Collegiate Hockey Conference that dissolved more than one full season ago.“I think our team is pretty familiar with most of the guys on their team,” junior forward Anthony Greco said of Miami. “It’s fun to compete against them.”In the past three seasons, the RedHawks have had most of the fun. Miami has gone 8-2-1 against the Buckeyes since 2011. “Coming into practice on Monday I think we had a little extra jump in our step knowing that we’re playing Miami,” senior captain and forward Tanner Fritz said. “We haven’t had the best success against them the last few years but I think this is our year to really turn that.”OSU is set to play the RedHawks on Friday at 7 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center and on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. in Oxford, Ohio.Loose Pucks• OSU junior defenseman Craig Dalrymple and sophomore forward Nick Schilkey will not play this weekend, Rohlik said.• Dalrymple has not played since Jan. 17. Schilkey sustained an upper-body injury last Friday against Providence and there’s no timetable for his return, Rohlik said.• Miami is a member of the National Collegiate Hockey Conference
Newly appointed Reading manager Jose Gomes has been discussing his football philosophy during his first press conference as the club’s manager.Gomes who was appointed to replace the sacked Paul Clement faced the media on Monday and spoke about his intentions for the club.“I love football,” he told the club’s official website. “Ever since we are born and when we start playing football as kids, if you ask your friends to come and play football, the main idea is to score goals.”“And to score goals we must pass the ball to each other. That’s what I like, to pass the ball to each other and control the game with the ball with the intention of somehow obligating the opponent to move in trying to recover the ball and then creating space to use to our advantage with the fast players, the strikers.”Manchester United Joel Pereira set to join Reading Henry Ikenna Ugwu – January 10, 2019 Manchester United goalkeeper Joel Pereira is set to go loan to Reading after a six-month loan spell at Vitoria Setubal, according to Daily Mail.The…“Basically I like creating with the ball. And from everything I watch of our players, we have players with enough technical ability to play and follow my ideas. I have no doubt about that.”Speaking on the prospect of traveling to Old Trafford to face Manchester United in the FA Cup next month, Gomes said: “When I looked to the fixture schedule, I thought I could play against a Portuguese coach…but he left.”“But we are talking about one of the best clubs in the world with great players – it will be very difficult for us.”“However, it is usual that we have a different spirit in cup games. And anything can happen.”
Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling is confident about his team’s chances when they face Liverpool on Thursday.Man City needs to beat the League leaders to keep up the chase for the title and with Klopp’s men still unbeaten, Sterling reckons they need to be at their best to claim the three points.“If we can play the way we know we can play, we can beat anyone,” he disclosed in a quote cited by FourFourTwo“It’s going to be a great game and we’re all looking forward to it.”Manchester City were pegged back in the title race after suffering shock defeats to Crystal Palace and Leicester City.Premier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…However, they returned to winning ways with a 3-1 triumph over the Saints on Sunday.“It’s a massive step and just what we needed,” he said.“We had two poor games and we knew we needed to win to give ourselves a chance and we did just that. Our previous two results were difficult to take and I thought we bounced back brilliantly.“I think we owed it to ourselves and as a team to bring that level we know we can bring.”
Posted: March 11, 2019 Interstate 5 speed reduced for three years Categories: Local San Diego News, Traffic & Accidents KUSI Newsroom March 11, 2019 KUSI Newsroom, SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Starting Monday motorists will have to drive a little slower on a section of Interstate 5 on the North County coastline for the next three years.Officials announced Friday that the temporary speed limit reduction will take place on a stretch of Interstate 5 where carpool lanes are currently under construction.The speed limit will be reduced from 65 miles per hour to 55 miles per hour starting Monday in both directions of Interstate 5 between Manchester Avenue in Encinitas and Palomar Airport Road.The lower speed limit will remain in place until the carpool lane project is complete which is expected to happen in 20-22. FacebookTwitter