President Weah Submits US$45.3M WAPP Loan to Legislature

first_imgPresident Weah (pictured)President George Weah has submitted for ratification to the House of Representatives a Loan Agreement in the tone of US$45.3 million, which was signed between the Government of Liberia (GoL) and the International Development Assistance (IDA) on December 11, 2017.The financial agreement is entitled, “Additional Financing Agreement for the West African Power Pool (WAPP) Interconnection Project Côte d’Ivoire, Liberia, Sierra Leone-Guinea (CLSG).”The then Finance Minister Boima S. Kamara signed on behalf of the government, while Marisa Leshchenko, Country Manager of IDA affixed his signature for IDA-International.In a communication to Speaker Bhofal Chambers of the 54th Legislature, the President said the objective of this project is to support government’s effort in providing US$45.3 million and affordable cost of electricity that will be efficient and reliable for the Liberian people in terms of revenue generation.The communication of the President is dated July 6, but was read on July 10 during the 44th day sitting.“Honorable Speaker, this project is significant to our economic recovery program, and I trust that the Legislature will ratify this Agreement in a timely manner,” President Weah wrote.House Speaker Bhofal ChambersAccording to the President’s communication, the original IDA for the implementation of the regional project is SDR94,900,000 or its equivalent of US$147 million negotiated in March 2012. He furthered that the amount intended to fund the project increased between the period 2012 and 2016 due to the Ebola epidemic in the Mano River Basin and other economic factors.“The amount of the additional financing allotted to Liberia is US$45.3 million,” the President said. The maximum commitment charge rate is one-half of one percent (1/2 of 1 percent) and the service charge is the greater of the sum of three-fourths of one percent (3/4 of 1 percent) per annum on the withdrawn credit balance with payment dates of February 15 and August 15 in each year.The Plenary has voted to forward the communication to the Joint Committee on Ways, Means, Finance & Development Planning; Lands, Mines, Energy & Natural Resources and the Judiciary to review and scrutinize the Financial Agreement and report within two weeks.According to reports, the development objectives of the Power Interconnection Project for Côte d’Ivoire, Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea (CLSG) aim to reduce the cost of and increase the electricity supply at utility level, and to increase the export capability of Cote d’Ivoire as well as increase the technical integration of WAPP network.The additional financing aims to fill a financing gap due to several factors of the US$104.9 million of the WAPP-CLSG power interconnection component to avoid delays in completing the line.It also provides US$17.5m of the Additional Financing for the WAPP integration and technical assistance component to scale up the impact of this component, and to fill a financing gap created by the fluctuations of the special drawing rights (SDR) and U.S. dollar exchange rate.The Electricity SectorThe electricity sector in the Mano River Union (MRU) countries faces major constraints, namely; low access to electricity, a structural deficit in the supply of electricity, a preponderance of thermal generation in the energy mix, and low financial and institutional capacities of national electricity companies.The CLSG project will increase the average rate of access to electricity in the four countries from 28 percent to 33 percent, electrifying 125 locations along the transmission line as well as 70 schools, 30 health centers and nearly 1,500 small commercial and industrial craft enterprises, of which 25 percent are held by women. Directly benefiting from the project are the 24 million inhabitants of its impact area who will enjoy reliable electric power at a competitive cost.The construction of this line will form the backbone of the MRU countries and is one of the priority projects of WAPP Master Plan, a cooperation initiative linking national electricity companies in Western Africa.CLSG is the first actual project included in the Mano River Union initiative. As an early project, it has been very instrumental to the design of the initiative itself. The idea of a power backbone has been replicated with the Program for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA) Trans-African Highway. The CLSG project introduced the concept of a booster fund to compensate fragile states’ weak capacities to prepare projects in a reasonable time.The CLSG project will include a capacity-building component to ensure the transfer of knowledge to national structures in order to improve the management of future interconnections in West Africa. It also involves various planning and feasibility studies on hydro power plants that could enhance energy exchange.The Mano River Union countries are fragile and emerging from long sociopolitical crises. Owing to the low levels of investment in the sector in recent years, power infrastructure has become obsolete with the attendant outcome of extremely poor service. The cost of electric power production per kWh remains very high in these countries where the electricity access rate is among the lowest in the world (two per cent in Liberia and Sierra Leone; 10 per cent in Guinea).Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

City Council pay increase delayed until fall

first_imgCity Council agreed on Monday to delay its decision on the cost of living pay increase. The idea of a pay hike was raised at the operating budget first review on Monday the 2nd. Councilor Christensen initially asked for a report regarding the pay increase. Councilors Ackerman, Davies and Evans agreed the cost of living allowance needed to be reviewed. Meantime, Mayor Lantz and Councilors Bolin and Irwin wanted to wait until the economy was back on its feet. On Monday afternoon, all councilors agreed to delay the pay increase report until this fall. Councilors Ackerman and Irwin were absent from the meeting. – Advertisement -Davies says members of the community, along with the ailing economy made him in favor of the delay. [asset|aid=1065|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=c07158eca4e046c84df864b9642f9618-Davies 1_1_Pub.mp3] Councilor Evans says even though Fort St. John hasn’t been hit too hard by the recession, he thinks it will soon. Evans says he agrees that it’s a better idea to wait for a pay increase until things start looking up. [asset|aid=1066|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=c07158eca4e046c84df864b9642f9618-Evans 1_1_Pub.mp3] The proposed increased is set at a little over $1,100 for the mayor and, just over $400 for each of the councilors.Advertisementlast_img read more

Liverpool’s forgotten man like a ‘new signing’?

first_imgTwo years ago Martin Kelly’s career was blossoming at Liverpool.The defender had made his international bow in an England friendly against Belgium, albeit only for the final three minutes, and was called into Roy Hodgson’s squad for Euro 2012 following an injury to Gary Cahill.It had looked like the youngster’s career trajectory was about to hit an upward curve, but an anterior cruciate ligament injury suffered in a Premier League match against rivals Manchester United in September of the same year saw his development curtailed.Last campaign the right-back, who can also play in the centre, only managed eight games in all competitions due to the form of Jon Flanagan, who had excelled in his team-mate’s absence.But can Kelly make a first-team spot his own now he is back to full fitness and firing on all cylinders? He’s certainly getting his chance in pre-season, playing 68 minutes in the 1-0 to loss Roma at Fenway Park.And following a 4-0 win against Shamrock Rovers in May where Kelly started and scored in the friendly, manager Brendan Rodgers suggested the player’s time would come.“He’s a quality player. He’s a good guy and there will be games next year for the likes of him to come and play in if we continue to qualify in the competitions,” remarked the Northern Irishman.And the player himself told the Liverpool Echo he’s ready and raring to win his place back in the Liverpool team.Kelly said: “I’m still a Liverpool player so I think the opportunity to establish myself in the team could be just around the corner.“It’s vital for me to get back to the place I was at when Brendan first came in and to do that I need to be playing games week in, week out.“This pre-season is a massive opportunity for someone like myself. My ability hasn’t gone, it’s fitness what I need. There is no better chance than pre-season to get those games.“I’ve not had a conversation with the manager about my future yet. I’ve just concentrating on my own game and trying to take every opportunity that I’m given.”His versatility means for a full-back he is particularly handy aerially and his ability to slot in centrally could offer Simon Mignolet more protection than Glen Johnson, who is more suited to attacking.Should he regain his confidence he may even usurp the inconsistent England full-back and if he does, then he could well be like a new signing at Anfield and save Rodgers a pretty penny.What are your thoughts on Martin Kelly? 1 Martin Kelly in action against Roma last_img read more

Deschamps’ World Cup win a triumph for substance over style

first_imgThey are the first team to score four times in the final since Pele’s great Brazil side beat Italy 4-1 in Mexico in 1970, and the match was the highest-scoring World Cup final since England’s 4-2 victory against West Germany back in 1966.It was achieved with a brilliantly talented set of players, embodied by 19-year-old Mbappe, not even born when France last won it in 1998 and now the youngest player to score in a World Cup final since Pele in 1958.He had already lit up this tournament with his electric performance against Argentina, scoring twice in his side’s 4-3 win in Kazan in the last 16.Didier Deschamps won the World Cup as a player in 1998 (left) and as a coach in 2018 © AFP / Patrick HERTZOG, Franck FIFEHowever, these two high-scoring encounters do not provide an accurate picture of the way Deschamps’ team have played in this competition.In their five other games they scored a total of six goals, including two Griezmann penalties and one own goal. They were also involved in the only goalless draw of the tournament, against Denmark in their last group outing.Against Croatia, Griezmann’s penalty that gave them a 2-1 lead in the 38th minute came from their first shot on goal of the game, with their opener a Mario Mandzukic own goal. France finished with just 39 percent of the possession.With a shrug, Deschamps asked after the game: “Are France beautiful champions? Well, we are world champions and will be on top of the world for four years.”– Constant progress –Deschamps has regularly been criticised throughout this competition, and throughout his six-year reign in charge, for his style of football. Yet this win follows the near miss of Euro 2016, when as hosts they lost in extra time to Portugal in Paris.Deschamps became France’s longest-serving coach during this tournament, and the progress has been constant since he took charge in 2012 and took the team to the quarter-finals at the 2014 World Cup, losing to eventual winners Germany.This time, while the Germans went out in the group stage, France went all the way.Deschamps has always been a winner, going back to his playing days when he captained France to glory at the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000 and won the Champions League with Marseille and Juventus.He is now only the third man in history to win the World Cup as both a player and coach after Brazil’s Mario Zagallo and German Franz Beckenbauer.“I have never seen or experienced a World Cup like this one. There was a levelling off towards the top, and the so-called smaller teams came in so well prepared physically,” he said as he defended his reactionary style.“They hurt the countries who I always remember as being the strongest. The teams who had most control in terms of possession were practically all punished by quick attacks.“In football if you know how to defend well, you can be sure that you will get at least two or three chances on the counter-attack or from set-pieces.”He added: “Against Denmark we were not very nice to watch. That would not have been enough had we kept playing like that, but we managed to keep raising our game.”Had France fallen short in Russia, there would have been a growing clamour for the French Football Federation to approach Zinedine Zidane, a free agent since leaving Real Madrid.But now Deschamps will surely stay in the job as long as he wants it, with his contract running until 2020.“The plan is that I stay so I am going to stay,” he told French radio station RTL.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000France coach Didier Deschamps celebrates winning the World Cup © AFP / Alexander NEMENOVMOSCOW, Russian Federation, Jul 16 – Didier Deschamps’ France side have not always won admirers for their way of playing at this World Cup, but that will not matter to the hundreds of thousands celebrating on the streets back home after their final victory over Croatia.France won 4-2 at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow on Sunday, with star men Antoine Griezmann, Paul Pogba and Kylian Mbappe all scoring as they lifted the trophy for the second time in their history.last_img read more

DONEGAL WOMAN HAS COMPENSATION SLASHED IN DRINK-DRIVING SMASH CASE

first_imgA Falcarragh woman has had a compensation award slashed by 40% after a judge said she probably knew the driver of the car was drinking before a crash in which she was injured.Erin Gallagher, 31, a mother of two, had been awarded €190,500 in damages at a previous court hearing after suffering a serious head injury.The ruling by Mr Justice Sean Ryan means Ms Gallagher will get €114,300 damages over injuries suffered when the car in which she was travelling went out of control on a narrow side road in Co Donegal. The car struck a telegraph pole and overturned several times before coming to rest upside down in a field.The court also heard that Ms Gallagher was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.Rejecting suggestions alcohol was not necessarily responsible for the crash, Judge Ryan said the driver Oliver McGeady had said he drank seven bottles of beer over a two and a half hour period before getting into his car.While he personally felt Mr McGeady “may have drank more”, that was the evidence, the judge said. Gardaí also reported a strong smell of drink from Mr McGeady at the scene but were unable to breathalyse him due to his injuries.Mr McGeady had also said he took a narrow road to reduce his chance of being breathalysed by gardaí.And the Judge said that a person does not have to be “staggering around or incapable of speech” to have their driving capacity impaired by alcohol.It was clear from various cases there was “a much more acute understanding of the social damage brought about by drink driving” and that was reflected in the attitude of the courts.In this case, it was “irresistible” Mr McGeady’s capacity to drive and control the car was substantially impaired by alcohol. If Ms Gallagher was unable to observe Mr McGeady because of alcohol she herself drank, that was not an answer to a plea of contributory negligence, he added.Ms Gallagher had sued Mr McGeady, who at the time lived near her home at Cashel, Nagore, Gortahork, over the crash that happened about midnight on Saturday July 19th 2008 on the road between Falcarragh and Gweedore.The crash happened after Ms Gallagher, Mr McGready and three others had left a bar in Falcarragh for a nightclub in Gweedore.Mr McGeady admitted liability but alleged contributory negligence by Ms Gallagher.In his judgment, Mr Justice Ryan ruled Ms Gallagher could see over some two and a half hours in two bars in Falcarragh that Mr McGeady was drinking throughout that time and she should not have got into a car with him. He found contributory negligence by her on that point.He also found contributory negligence by her in not wearing a seatbelt. Ms Gallagher testified she had worn a seatbelt but the judge ruled, on foot of evidence including she was ejected from the car and the nature of her injuries, she was not wearing a seatbelt.Given his findings, he assess contributory negligence against Ms Gallagher at 40 per cent.

He assessed total damages of €190,500, less 40 per cent, after noting she suffered a significant head injury, fractures of the cheek bone and jaw and other injuries. He rejected arguments she was impaired in her capacity to work and earn as a result of her injuries.DONEGAL WOMAN HAS COMPENSATION SLASHED IN DRINK-DRIVING SMASH CASE was last modified: March 9th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Man United give up chase for Premier League left-back

first_img Man United have reportedly ended their interest in Rose 2 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has decided not to pursue a deal for Tottenham Hotspur left back Danny Rose. Danny Rose has represented England 18 times Mourinho had been interested in the England international, but it is understood he will prioritise other positions in his search for reinforcements before the transfer window shuts in August.It could mean Luke Shaw, whose relationship with the Old Trafford boss has been strained, could get another opportunity to win his manager over, while Ashley Young and new signing Diogo Dalot, will add additional competition for places.It will undoubtedly represent a blow to Rose, who in 2017 revealed he would be open to moving back to the north of England to be closer to his family. 2 England international Rose must now decide whether to continue to seek a move away from Tottenham or continue to fight Ben Davies for a place on Spurs’ left flank.In a recent interview, the 27-year-old admitted he had suffered from depression after a catalogue of personal issues, including the suicide of his uncle at the same time as he was nursing a serious knee injury.last_img read more

The most likely outcome in every Championship game this weekend

first_imgRotherham United v Sheffield United (Saturday at 12:30pm) – live on talkSPORT 2Rotherham win – 25 per cent chance of happeningSheffield United win – 47 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happening Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade Most Popular Championship News Wigan Athletic v Reading (Saturday at 3pm)Wigan win – 45 per cent chance of happeningReading win – 28 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happeningBrentford v Middlesbrough (Saturday at 5:30pm)Brentford win – 36 per cent chance of happeningMiddlesbrough win – 33 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 31 per cent chance of happeningAston Villa v Birmingham City (Sunday at 12pm)Aston Villa win – 51 per cent chance of happeningBirmingham win – 23 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happening latest Ruiz Jr sparring partner explains when he put on weight before Joshua rematch Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update 5 Hull City v Nottingham Forest (Saturday at 3pm)Hull win – 41 per cent chance of happeningNottingham Forest win – 29 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 30 per cent chance of happeningLeeds United v Bristol City (Saturday at 3pm)Leeds win – 52 per cent chance of happeningBristol win – 20 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happening PACKING POWER Sheffield Wednesday players celebrate BEST OF Watch astonishing moment heavyweight out on his feet turns tables and floors prospect Gerrard launches furious touchline outburst as horror tackle on Barisic sparks chaos AJ reacts after Hearn reveals he is on verge of being forced to vacate world title But we wouldn’t like to predict what the outcome will be in these matches instead we’ll leave it to some people with fantastic knowledge and a tested system.FiveThirtyEight have crunched the numbers and given the likeliness of each outcome in every game, but what do they think will happen? Find out below.*All figures are rounded and may not total 100 per cent 5 MANDATORY POLITICS Stoke City v Queens Park Rangers (Saturday at 3pm)Stoke win – 54 per cent chance of happeningQPR win – 19 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happeningSwansea City v Norwich City (Saturday at 3pm)Swansea win – 40 per cent chance of happeningNorwich win – 32 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happeningcenter_img Sheffield United star Leon Clarke DISCIPLINE SHOCK Tyson Fury has been ‘ripping bodies in half’ as he plots Wilder KO in rematch Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions 5 MONEY Joshua on verge of being forced to vacate a world title, frustrated Hearn admits talkSPORT 2 will be at Villa Park on Sunday morning. scrap Kemar Roofe celebrates scoring against Nottingham Forest. Millwall v Bolton Wanderers (Saturday at 3pm)Millwall win – 55 per cent chance of happeningBolton win – 19 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 26 per cent chance of happeningPreston North End v Blackburn Rovers (Saturday at 3pm)Preston win – 49 per cent chance of happeningBlackburn win – 24 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happeningSheffield Wednesday v Derby County (Saturday at 3pm)Sheffield Wednesday win – 34 per cent chance of happeningDerby win – 39 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happening revealed It’s set to be a big weekend in the Championship and you would be a fool not to tune into talkSPORT 2 for it.We’ve already brought you West Brom’s 2-1 win over Ipswich Town at Portman Road and we’re going to bring you two more brilliant clashes from the second tier with Rotherham vs Sheffield United at 12pm on Saturday and the Second City derby on Sunday as Aston Villa host Birmingham at 12pm . 5 5 Norwich City players celebrate with their own fans at Ipswich Town’s Portman Road. The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 last_img read more

GAA: O’BRIEN’S GOAL DOUBLE SINKS DONEGAL IN ULSTER MINORS

first_imgULSTER MINOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSIP QUARTER-FINALDerry 2-9 Donegal 1-7TWO goals from Derry’s Terence O’Brien was the difference in the sides as Donegal exited the Minor Championship on Sunday. O’Brien struck in the second minute when Donegal keeper Daniel Mullarkey was dispossessed and the hosts went on to take a five point half-time lead, 1-06 to 0-04.O’Brien struck hit his second eight minutes into the second half to end the game as a contest.McHugh pulled back a penalty goal for Donegal but it was too late to close the gap.DERRY: C Bradley; D Brown, M Sweeney, G Doyle; G McKinless, C McAtamney, C Carville; P Cassidy (0-2), R McDonnell (0-1); J Kearney, C McFaul, T O’Brien (2-1, one 45); G Bradley (0-4), R Bell (0-1), R Moore. Subs: C Gallagher for Doyle (20 mins), R Dougan for Moore (38), N McNicholl for Kearney 57; D Tallon for Carville 62 DONEGAL: D Mullarkey; G Kelly, C Parke, J Rose; S McBrearty, M Gallagher, D Gallagher; B McNelis, R McNamee; C Harkin (0-2, one free), J McGarvey (0-2), A McGinley; R McHugh (1-2, 1-0 pen, one free), W Gillespie, E McHugh. Subs: H McFadden (0-1) for A McGinley (ht); J Fitzgerald for Rose (41), C Gallagher for Gillespie , C McGettigan for McGarvey (52).GAA: O’BRIEN’S GOAL DOUBLE SINKS DONEGAL IN ULSTER MINORS was last modified: May 28th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAA: O’BRIEN’S GOAL DOUBLE SINKS DONEGAL IN ULSTER MINORSlast_img read more

GARDAÍ INVESTIGATE VICIOUS GANG ATTACK ON CANCER RECOVERY TEEN AND PAL

first_imgGARDAI in Letterkenny are investigating a vicious attack on two teenage boys in which they suffered serious facial injuries.One of the teenagers – recovering from leukaemia – had his face bashed in during the completely unprovoked attack.The boys were set upon close to the Oatfield roundabout in the town on Friday night after attending an under-age drink-free disco. They were waiting for a lift close to Mr Chippy when a gang began to shout at them.The boys, fearing they were about to be attacked, ran off. They were cornered at the Aldi supermarket where they were repeatedly punched and kicked.The 16-year-olds suffered severe bruising to their faces and chipped and damaged teeth.A woman who stopped to help drove off – whilst other terrified motorists also drove on. “They could have been killed,” said a relative of one of the boys today.“One of them is in remission from cancer and he was repeatedly beaten and kicked by four of these youths, even when another one of their gang had pleaded for the rest of the gang to stop.”Anyone with information is asked to call Letterkenny Garda Station on 07491 67100. GARDAÍ INVESTIGATE VICIOUS GANG ATTACK ON CANCER RECOVERY TEEN AND PAL was last modified: February 17th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ALDIassaultattackcrimeGardailetterkennyOatfield Roundaboutlast_img read more

BREAKING NEWS: COUPLE MURDERED AT THEIR HOME, MAN ARRESTED

first_imgDetectives outside  the home where a husband and wife in their 70’s were found dead this morning. Pic by North-west-newspix.MURDER squad detectives are investigating a double killing this morning in Carndonagh. It’s understood a man and his wife have died as a result of the incident.A man has been arrested at the scene. It’s understood Gardai are investigating the possibility that the couple died as a result of multiple wounds.There is widespread shock in Carndonagh.The dead couple are well known in the area.A priest has been called to the house to give the last rites. A man was detained by Gardai who were called to the scene. The house has been sealed off and the office of the State Pathologist has been informed.Gardaí have just issued the following press statement in relation to the incident.Gardaí in Buncrana are investigating all the circumstances surrounding the discovery of a man and woman in their 70’s at their home in Carndonagh shortly after 9am this morning.A short time later a man in his 40’s was arrested and he is currently being detained at Buncrana Garda Station under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984.The scene is currently preserved pending a Garda forensic examination. The office of the State Pathologist has been informed and investigations are continuing.BREAKING NEWS: COUPLE MURDERED AT THEIR HOME, MAN ARRESTED was last modified: October 23rd, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:CarndonaghKILLINGmurdersshootinglast_img read more